The alleged reason for arrest:
- His position on the Arab Spring revolutions, and his criticism of the violations that occurred in Egypt after the July 3, 2013 coup.
- Refusing to participate in the distortion of any Gulf country.
Official charges: departing from the guardian and sympathy for the Muslim Brotherhood
Court: September 5, 2018, in a secret trial session. The Specialised Partial Court (Terrorism Court) in Riyadh
Updates on trial :
Verdict: 5 years imprisonment
The name of the judge who ruled: Abd al-Rahman Hammoud al-Nafi
Date of the verdict: October 24, 2018
State Human Rights Violations
Arbitrary arrest/ detention
Violation details :
- Intimidation of the victim during his arrest.
- Violating Article (116) of the Saudi Penal Procedures Law, which provides for informing the accused of the charges against him at the time of his arrest.
- Not allowing the defendant to appoint a lawyer, which contravenes the text of Article (4) of the Law of Criminal Procedure, which states that: ‘Every accused person may seek the assistance of an attorney or a lawyer to defend him in the investigation and trial stages’.
- Not allowing a lawyer to appear during investigations conducted by the State Security Agency.
- From the day of arrest for 3 months his locations were unknown to anyone including his lawyer and family.
- Deprivation of his right to independent litigation and his case was examined in front of a non-independent judicial office, which violated the criteria for fair trials.