Reason for arrest:
- Refusal of royal orders to distort the State of Qatar.
- Demanding the release of detainees in Saudi prisons.
Charges: Disobeying the ruler; delivering a Friday sermon in Qatar; building mosques.
The Public Prosecution charged him with disobeying the guardian (Leader), delivering a Friday sermon in the State of Qatar, building mosques in several countries to counter the non-Islamist expansion, and demanded that he be sentenced to imprisonment and travel bans.
Date of the first official accusation: September 6, 2018
Court: The Specialized Criminal Court (Terrorism Court) in Riyadh.
Updates on trial: ongoing
Verdict: Not issued
Date of verdict: Not issued
Arbitrary arrest/ detention, Denied contact with family, Denied access to a lawyer, Torture and ill-treatment
- Held for almost a year before being charged; placed in solitary confinement.
- Intimidation of the victim without humanitarian or legal basis.
- Violating Article (116) of the Saudi Penal Procedures Law, which provides for informing the accused of the charges against him at the time of his arrest.
- Not allowing the defendant to appoint a lawyer, which contravenes the text of Article (4) of the Law of Criminal Procedure, which states that: Every accused person may seek the assistance of an attorney or a lawyer to defend him in the investigation and trial stages.
- He was subjected to enforced disappearance and his family was unable to communicate with him or know his place of detention, as he was placed inside the secret detention headquarters since his arrest until February 10, 2018 (at least).
- Presenting his case to an (illegal) terrorism court, which is held in secret.