- Joining a terrorist entity aimed at causing chaos and turmoil inside the kingdom.
- Participating in marches and gatherings in the Qatif governorate.
- Promoting and inciting young people to join in those marches and gatherings.
- Participating in the funeral ceremonies of victims of security clashes with protesters.
Court: The Specialized Criminal Court
Updates on trial :
The hearing was scheduled again on October 28, 2018, then the third on November 21, 2018, and the fourth on January 13, 2019.
Verdict: Sentenced to death by beheading
Date of the verdict:
Arbitrary arrest/ detention, Enforced disappearance
Violation details :
Legal violations related to the current trial period:
- No lawyer was allowed to attend the first session of his trial.
- The investigation authorities demanded that he be executed on the basis of his peaceful activities, as no accusation had been filed against the victim, his wife or the other four activists.
- Because of the lack of independence of the judiciary in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the judiciary and parliamentarians working in Saudi Arabia could draft malicious charges with no basis.
- The judge is granted freedom to act in defining the crime and determining the sentence, which is dangerous in light of the lack of independence of the judiciary in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Legal violations related to the period of detention:
- Not to notify the victim of the accusation upon arrest and present it to the investigation authorities, which contravenes Article (116) of the Saudi Penal Procedures Law, which provides for informing the accused of the charges against them at the time of their arrest.
- Violation of Article (114) of the Saudi Penal Procedures Law, which stipulates that the detention period should not exceed 180 days as a maximum.
- Not being allowed to attend a lawyer.
- Inability to ascertain the conditions of their detention and what they are being exposed to.